Snowflake Bokeh - DIY Hack



One of the best times of the year for photography is Christmas! I love playing with close-ups and bokeh! I've had my lovely DSLR camera for more than a year and I'll be the first to admit that I still have a lot to learn! This past week, I played around with shaped bokeh. If there's a special term for this, someone please fill me in! :)

You can purchase neat little bokeh kits like this one from Photojojo.com for around $25...


Or you could make your own by following this tutorial ...



But if you're like me and don't have the bokeh kit and you're not patient enough to spend more than a minute making your own, because the inspiration suddenly struck you and you need to take the photo now! Then, maybe you should try what I did and quickly slap something together! {now, don't laugh! it worked!!}

I very quickly grabbed a scrap piece of paper, some tape, and a small snowflake punch and this is what I came up with in less than a minute!


Yes, I know it looks a little rough, but, hey!, it worked!!

I used my 18-55mm lens and I found that if I shot at 18mm, this is what happened...


Not good.

So I took all my shots at 55mm, which meant that my aperture only went to f/5.6 ... oh! to have a 50mm lens with a f/1.8!

After looking at the shots later, I realized they were too dark and I could have adjusted something, but honestly, I was just fascinated by the fact that my silly little rig worked!!! Here are a few photos to prove it ...




So while my little DIY bokeh kit looks far from professional, it did get the job done and I actually got shaped bokeh! I'm thrilled!! And now that I know it will work, I'll have to make something more permanent... or just pay the $25 and get the actual thing!

I challenge you to try it and see what fun you can have, then leave me a comment with a link to your photos! Merry Christmas!!

Comments

  1. OH MY! I'm gonna have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are so neat. Does photography love run in your family? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting!

Popular posts from this blog

The Babe in the Manger

DIY Moving Announcements

Portrait: Loving Summer