The Killdeer Nest



I found this Killdeer nest with it's eggs while out geocaching with my family. As we came within 15 feet of the nest, the mother Killdeer began to run around the nest making her funny little screeching sound in a vain attempt to scare us away. She ran across the grass and kept a watch about 20 feet away. Having seen a Killdeer nest previously, I knew what to look for. Killdeer make their nests right on the ground, usually in the rocks. As you can see, the eggs are camouflaged quite well! My boys were pretty excited when I found the nest and showed it to them. Of course, we didn't touch them or bother the nest in any way - just captured a few photos of it and grabbed the geocache.




Linking to Outdoor Wednesday

3 comments:

  1. What lovely captures...the eggs and nest, very sweet and classic. Love the photo of your son...precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by and Lea ing a comment on my blog for Outdoor wed. Ive never seen a killdeer nest- the eggs look so cool. What a darling little explored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not a very well hidden or protected nest is it, I also had no idea what a Killdeer was, so had to look him up, like his stripey chest!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting!