Cards and an Amish Funeral

With trying to finish up first grade with my little guy, my husband taking a trip to Connecticut for a week,  a Spring banquet, going to an Amish funeral, running a child to the doctor over a double ear infection and a bad case of pink eye, a newborn photo shoot, and just trying to keep things sane around the house... I've afraid I've neglected posting for far too long!

Recently, I was asked to contribute a "handmade item" to a door prize for our church's Ladies Spring Banquet. Of course, I chose to make a set of cards. I got my inspiration from a card I saw here on Pinterest.



I apologize for the poor photo quality. I was in hurry to turn them in for the door prize basket and had just come from a cold, windy day at the funeral of my Amish aunt.

Yes, you read that right... I have Amish relatives. Before we go any further, let me clarify that no, I am NOT Amish! My parents were both born and raised in Old Order Amish families, but left the Amish religion and lifestyle when I was only three years old. A couple years ago, my mother wrote a fantastic book about they're experience in leaving the Amish. You can order it on her site TheGreaterInheritance.com She also has it available as an audio book.

Back to the Amish funeral... My dad grew up in a family of 15 children, none of whom were twins. (my poor grandmother!) Last month, the first of the 15 children passed away, so I went to the funeral. If you ever get the chance to go to an Amish funeral, you should go just for the experience. It's very sobering and sad to see so many people (probably 600-700 for my aunt's funeral) gathered together who have no hope for eternity and are trusting in their lifestyle and good deeds as a way of salvation. If only they would understand that salvation is only by putting your complete trust in Christ as the one and only way to Heaven. When surrounded by so many people, you really see the hopelessness that these people have. It's heartbreaking.



As for my cards, I made a set of four. Once I had decided on the size of my elements, it was a quick process. The sentiment and the butterflies were computer generated - I used the Butterflips font for the butterflies. I chose a different sentiment and color for each card. I don't know who got the cards, but I sure hope they like them and will use them!





1 comment:

Thank you for visiting!