An Intro to Backlit Photos


Recently, I came across some beautiful backlit photos and was greatly inspired by them. I decided to try it myself. I was delighted to get this shot after only a few minutes of shooting.

1/4000, f/2.8, ISO 200, 50mm
If you're not familiar with this technique, simply put, it involves using the sun or another source of light to illuminate a subject from behind. Depending on the subject, this technique will result in either a silhouette or a beautifully illuminated subject.

One can use either direct light or bounce the light onto the back of the subject. You will need to overexpose the subject to achieve an illuminated effect, or underexpose your it to create a silhouette.

I still want to try other subjects to see what different results can be achieved with the backlit technique. I've seen some lovely shots of backlit fruit that I'd like to try!



{Please forgive my recent absence! My family and I have embarked on a new phase in life and things have been very busy for us.}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Babe in the Manger

DIY Moving Announcements

Portrait: Loving Summer